This rich, nutty confection is soaked in a honey-citrus syrup, giving it a flavor much like baklava. For the best flavor, soak overnight, and serve chilled.
• Cooking spray
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar $
• 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil $
• 3 large egg whites
• 2 large eggs $
• 1/2 cup matzo cake meal
• 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
• 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
• 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice $
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2/3 cup granulated sugar $
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/3 cup fresh orange juice $
• 3 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice $
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare cake, coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Place 3/4 cup granulated sugar and next 4 ingredients (3/4 cup granulated sugar through eggs) in a large bowl; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in matzo cake meal and next 5 ingredients (matzo cake meal through 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon), beating until well blended. Pour into prepared pan; bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely.
3. To prepare syrup, combine 2/3 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Pierce top of cake several times with a fork; pour syrup over cake. Cover and chill.
Originally from here
Posted on Shalom Adventure by: Barbara Zaremsky